Nafplio, with its charming old town, historical sites, and stunning landscapes, is a perfect destination for a memorable road trip. To make the most of your journey, here’s a guide on what to do and what to avoid:
If you’re already in Greece, renting a car provides flexibility. Nafplio is approximately a 2-hour drive from Athens. Follow the National Road (Ethniki Odos) to Corinth and then take the exit to Nafplio.
What to Do
- Visit Palamidi Fortress: Climb the 999 steps or drive up to Palamidi Fortress for breathtaking views of Nafplio and the Argolic Gulf.
- Explore Old Town: Wander through the narrow streets of the Old Town, filled with neoclassical buildings, quaint shops, and vibrant cafes.
- Enjoy Beach Time: Relax on the beautiful Arvanitia Beach or Karathona Beach, both offering a serene escape with crystal-clear waters.
- Discover History at Bourtzi: Take a boat to Bourtzi, a small fortress on an island in the middle of the harbor, and delve into its rich history.
- Indulge in Local Cuisine: Try traditional Greek dishes at local tavernas. Don’t miss the chance to savor fresh seafood and the famous Nafplio pasta.
- Visit Archaeological Sites: Explore ancient sites like the Archaeological Museum of Nafplio and the Epidaurus Theater, known for its exceptional acoustics.
- Take a Scenic Drive to Epidaurus: Drive through picturesque landscapes to Epidaurus, renowned for its ancient theater and sanctuary of Asclepius.
What Not to Do:
- Avoid Peak Tourist Hours: To enjoy attractions without the crowds, plan your visits early in the morning or later in the afternoon.
- Parking Challenges: Be cautious about parking in the narrow streets of Old Town. Consider using public parking areas to avoid inconvenience.
- Neglecting Palamidi Climb Preparation: If climbing Palamidi, wear comfortable shoes, carry water, and be mindful of your physical condition due to the steep ascent.
- Overlooking Epidaurus: Don’t skip the chance to visit Epidaurus; it’s not just about the theater but also boasts historical significance.
- Ignoring Local Customs: Respect local customs and traditions. For instance, it’s customary to greet people with a friendly “Kalimera” (Good morning).
- Ignoring Weather Conditions: Check the weather forecast before your road trip. Nafplio can get quite hot in the summer, so be prepared with sunscreen and appropriate clothing.
- Skipping Hidden Gems: Don’t limit yourself to the main attractions; explore the lesser-known corners of Nafplio for a more authentic experience.
For a one-night stay in Nafplio, you have various accommodation options to suit different preferences and budgets. Here are a few recommendations:
- Agamemnon hotel https://shorturl.at/lpqNQ
- 999 Luxury Hotel https://shorturl.at/fpuB9
- Gambello Luxury Rooms https://shorturl.at/aGJW1
By following these do’s and don’ts, your road trip to Nafplio is sure to be a delightful and enriching experience. Enjoy the journey!